Sunday, June 20, 2010

Indy 500

I made plans to go to the Indy 500 at least a few weeks before I found out I was pregnant. I love the race, mostly for the speed and noise and also people watching. I can totally do without just about everything else about the day. I do love the mini Indy though. Hopefully next year...
I went with my uncle, his friend and his friend's son. They wanted to get there at 6am. Yeah. The race doesn't start until 1pm and last time I checked, I have very little free time without Jake. I don't really want to spend it sober all day at a race with people I didn't know. But, I didn't really win that argument much beyond leaving at 7:30am. We got at the race at 9:30 because the traffic even that early really sucks. There was hardly anyone else in the grandstands

Turns out this one of the hottest Indy 500s ever. Sitting in the sun all day when you are a pale redhead is already tough (I was putting on sunscreen constantly), but add pregnancy to the mix... ugg. I brought with me a couple of People magazines and found some shade on the golf course right behind our seats
I was able to kill 2.5 hours doing this. Then I took a break every 1 hour at least and sat in the shade. I was so worried about getting overhot and causing the baby problems. Mind you though, our seats were at the top of the grandstand, probably 6 or 7 flights of stairs up. I got a lot of exercise. Here's a cool pic from near our seats. You can see the golf course and downtown:
The race was not very interesting until the end. Not too many lead changes during the race and no spectacular crashes until the very end. There was one crash in front of our section:


I was also pretty lucky to capture one picture of a car going at full speed with my phone's camera:

No comments: