When I went in for my NT scan, they told me that the odds of having a baby with chromosomal issue at my age is 1 in 125. After the blood work and nuchal fold measurement, my odds were decreased to 1 in 1000. A week later I found out that I was a carrier for CF. Turns out the odds for caucasian northern European to be a carrier for CF is 1 in 25. Honestly, I didn't look up this statistic, my husband told me just a few days ago. I didn't really want to know the odds, I didn't want to bogged down with fear all.the.time. There is so much that can happen to outside babies. There are so many genetic issues that we don't test for, may never even know about, and may not even matter. And even if you do know, did you even want to? Between being a Catholic and spending hours discussing the ethic ramifications of genetic testing/genetic choices in college, I know what's at stake. And yet, I do want to know. As much as we hate to admit it, there are times when we do want to know the future. Little things or big things. Just watch out when you open Pandora's box.
Turns out Matt was not a carrier for CF. Pretty stupid to get so worked up.
Tuesday, May 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So, this was unfortunately the only way to reach out to you, forgive me! I just wanted to say hello - found your blog on The Nest and I think it's great. I grew up in Indy, but currently live in NYC, hence the special interest. I loved your chicken recipe a few posts ago...I'm actually a culinary student and post recipes every once in a while, thought you might be interested: GettingCooked.blogspot.com.
Send me some other good recipes to try!
Congratulations on your exciting news, and I look forward to following your journey. -Jackie L.
Post a Comment