Monday, February 2, 2009

My year of meats

My Year of Meats by Ruth Ozeki is a fictional book on CD I picked up at the library recently because the cover looked cool. I listen to a new book every week, so I'm pretty adventurous on what I'll pick up and this one sounded like it would be interesting.

Reading the book jacket, you wouldn't have thought that there was a huge thread of infertility in this book. There wasn't even a hint of it in the description! I'm only half way through, but if what the author is writing has some truth in it I may eat less meat in the future. It's just amazing how IF is everywhere.

Like today, riding to lunch with a co-worker, and discussing everyone's favorite IF topic, the woman with 8 IVF babies. Now, my co-worker, has 2 kids that he must have been able to concieve easily because they planned which month they wanted to have them. He knows that it took us a long time to get pg, but has never really figured out any of the details. So, he tells me how he thinks that people who can't get pg should adopt. Then he tells me that it's bad that IF couples do IVF because if you aren't meant to have kids it's because your genes are bad. The whole time I'm thinking... yeah, well, I'm sure he'd change his tune if he couldn't have his tune if he went through IF. None of this conversation bothers me in the slightest because I know he is just plain ignorant. I pointed out all of the flaws in his thinking and told him to let me know when he had a new point to make. If he asked me, I'd tell him the truth about how we conceived, but otherwise I don't feel the need to at this point, although I was quite tempted today.

Another thought about the 8 baby lady... I look at how the media is covering a topic I know about...and how bad they are covering it. It makes me wonder how much they mess up everything else they cover???

3 comments:

theworms said...

I can't believe all this coverage! She is a whacko and her dr. should have his medical license revoked.

I've given you a blog award, so visit my blog for more info (or just ignore if you want).

Bella said...

That's too funny you saw the same shirt in your mall. I just thught it was pretty tacky. I can't imagine wanting to wear it even if I was pg. I loved Indy though! I kept thinkng about you and wondering if I was close to where you live. If it wasn't such a rushed trip I would have loved to meet you!

I can't believe your co-worker said that people should adpot because their genes are bad! How awful!

I agree on the media comment. Many of the things they report on seem to be half truths or less. It's scary!

stacey said...

I think I would have thrown that co-worker out of the car;-)