Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My crappy day

It all started on Sunday... after shopping at Target for many, many hours...

I got in the car and I just couldn't breathe. I took a couple puffs of inhaler and figured it must have been the cold air. By Sunday night, I was feeling so bad I slept close to Matt because I was afraid I might be in trouble over night. Being out of breath when doing normal activities, like you know, rolling over in bed is pretty common for me nowadays. Usually though I can catch my breath in a minute or two. But this was different, it just hurt to breathe.

So, I stayed home on Monday and by noon, I was just exhausted from working so hard. So, I called my OB Gyn, because you know, you should always call if you have any concerns. Um, no. The nurses there just suck. They said I should either call my asthma doc or go to the ER. However, I must be able to breathe since I was able to talk. (You know, I've called the office only 2 times during my pregnancy and both times they've treated me like I was idiot. )

I finally talked to my Asthma doc at 5:30. Told him my stats that my peak flow was normal and the inhaler wasn't working, suspect it could be just an inflamation but wanted a second opinion. He said he suspected the ER would be a waste of time like I did but it would be good to make sure the baby was OK so he would recommend going. He said page my OB Gyn and make sure they see you there.

So that's what I did, but the OB Gyn on call from my practice just dumped me off to the ER doc. The ER nurse listened to the baby with the doppler... that was it!! I can do that at home! Meanwhile the ER doc just did the standard asthma work up and concluded that nothing was wrong. I guess I wouldn't have minded this except she made me do a CT scan to make sure I didn't have a blood clot in my lungs (it was either that or be admitted for a day to make sure I didn't have clot). I felt so bad for baby G since it meant exposing him to radiation. Plus the IV totally sucked and the contrast fluid makes you feel so funny.

This whole thing took 5 hours and I felt so bad for wrecking Matt's night. I kept second guessing if I should have ever gone in the first place. I guess it was good to go to confirm my oxygen level was ok for the baby, but I got home and still had no answers.

I felt bad this morning still, but this afternoon a little better. I'm still scared and I wish I knew what brought this on. Baby G has been kicking like soccer player all day so at least he's letting me know he's OK! I just pray tomorrow I'll wake up and feel back to normal...

thanks for reading (don't blame you if gave up!!)

4 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Oh Andrea! I'm so sorry you had such a horrible day. You definitely did the right thing for the baby by getting everything checked out. You are a super mom - hang in there! I hope you feel better soon.

Sasha & Mark said...

How awful :( I'm so sorry your doctors really seemed to be failing you when you needed it most. I'm glad there wasn't anything wrong with the baby, but they really should have been more proactive about finding what was wrong.

Have you had your iron checked? I know low iron can cause breathing problems. Anyway, just throwing that out there...

I hope you are feeling better!

Bella said...

I hate it when docs give you the 'ole shuffle. No one wants to take any responsibility or do their job. I hope you're feeling better!

Karen At Home Blog said...

I am so sorry Andrea, I hope you are feeling better!! You absolutely did the right thing, good for you for sticking to your guns. I hope you are feeling better.

Karen