Monday, February 25, 2008

So how are you doing?

Honestly, when you ask me this question my daily struggles with infertility come to mind first. It hasn't always been this way and won't always be, but for now it is.

I just finished up my first cycle of injectibles. As in self-injectibles! For about 10 days, I gave myself a shot in the thigh of FSH. The goal was so that I would ovulate 2 or 3 eggs instead of just one. No worries about having multiples, really, believe it or not, the odds are not that high. Every couple of days I went into the doctors office where they would take a blood sample and do an ultrasound to see how the follicles were growing. The worst part of all this was the blood sample. The self shots, not really all that bad.

Mind you I have a degree in biology, but when we studied the female reproductive cycle, I was skipping class that week (there was this nice but very clingy guy who kept sitting next to me, I just couldn't deal). Needless to say, until recently I had never knew all the details of my cycle - but I do now!! So, if getting in all this detail seems a little weird, well, believe me, it wasn't my choice. This is actually pretty common too. So trust me, I am not obsessing over unnecessary details... ok well maybe a little, but how could you not??

Back to update... so after the follicles are ready to go, I self injected with HCG (yes the same hormone that PG ladies have) which makes the follicles burst. Then 16 and 40 hours later (yes, it is planned down to the hour!) I had inseminations.

Matt and I like to joke "Was it good for you?" "Oh yes, baby, the best"

This was my 3rd and 4th time doing the inseminations. I have it down to a ritual now. Other than having to explain why I am missing work (and worrying my co-workers will think something is up) this is all a piece of cake.

After the inseminations (referred to as IUIs) I have the 2 week wait.

Well, I didn't make it 2 weeks this time. I only made it about 11 days before the spotting began.

I had to take a break this month from doing another injectible cycle, although I really didn't want to. My little ovaries needed a rest. So I am concentrating on losing all the weight I've gained and whatever else you can do in Indiana in February - work!

1 comment:

Beth Bruns said...

So this is a pretty big deal. I can see how it can get all encompassing and hard to think about anything else. I'm amazed at how much pregnancy is out of our control. Even with all the biology, it's not an exact science and some people never get answers. I know a couple who tried for at least 5 years, tried all sorts of fertility stuff, a lot of emotional ups and downs, and were on their last hope when they got pregnant. Their daughter is a year old now, and is going to be a big sister. This pregnancy was a shock and the only thing that helped it happen was a couple bottles of wine! I'm sure you have heard tons of stories and maybe are sick of it, so sorry if that's the case. Even with all the stories and similar things that others go through, you're still you and feeling everything acutely.