So Jakie was diagnosed with Whooping Cough this week. Ugg, where to start? Jake had a cough at night that would just make me so sad, but I thought it was just his first cold or really allergies. I knew the day was coming with daycare and all that he would get sick and here it was. He was still his usual happy baby self and the coughing was just at night and not every night...although I admit some nights I would sleep on the floor next to his crib. After a week or so of this Matt convinced me to take him to the doctor, although, being the good mother I am, I didn't really think the doctor could do anything and I was skeptical. Even better, I didn't have a good break in my schedule to take him to the doctor until Wednesday, so Matt took him on Monday. Next thing I know Matt is calling me from the hospital because the doctor wanted him to have a chest x-ray and a test for whooping cough. Jake also had an ear infection, so we started him on anti biotics and albuterol. The doctor did just think it was a cold, but had him tested for whooping cough just to be safe. We found out on Wednesday at lunchtime the test was positive -- and it was quite a shock.
It's a disease monitored by the health department, so as soon as Jake tested positive they contacted me. I gave the names and some numbers of people that had been in contact with Jake. Normally Jake leads a very sheltered life, but it just so happens that we went to a baby shower the weekend before. Now all my friends have to worry about whether or not they contracted it. Most people are vaccinated, but some people are more at risk. I just feel so awful, I just want to bury my head in the sand, you know.
The antibiotics have done wonders for Jake and the cough is almost all gone. I think I am going to get a stethoscope because I can't really tell when he is wheezing and I don't want him to be wheezing.
I did realize this week a little bit keener how much I love mothering my little baby. I hope that when he is with me that I make him feel a little bit better, safer. I hope when he is sick, I'm the one he wants, just like I want my mommy when I am. It makes me cry to think of him sick, such a good little boy, he doesn't deserve to have this.
Tonight Jake was a wound up little boy, laughing at everything I did and rolling and rolling grabbing everything in sight. I think once he starts to be able to crawl and walk, he going to be a whirling dervish. I can't wait.
Saturday, August 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I hope your little guy gets better!!!
Poor Jakie! I hope he gets better soon!!
Very glad to hear Jake is feeling better! Can't imagine how scary it was to hear he had whooping cough.
Glad he's doing better. He is such a cutie!!
Post a Comment