Monday, April 6, 2009

no time like the present

I'm online all day long while i am nursing, but I can't really type much because I only have one hand barely free- just enough to move the mouse. So sorry for being so behind in blogging, commenting, posting, and email replies. I am working on mental telepathy texting, but it's not quite working.

So, my aunt asked me if I felt like a mom. Hmmm...not quite yet. I know it will come but right now I still feel like the woman who's boobs Jacob really likes. However, there are times when I am able to comfort Jacob and he looks at me with those big blue eyes and I think, well maybe he knows who I am.

I am trying to figure out what I am doing still. Reading books and online advice and making lots of mistakes. Like tonight, swaddling him for a nap at 5pm because the one at 3pm didn't work. Then he slept until 8. Guess who is up right now? ugg. (I'm pumping, that's why I can type) Won't make that mistake again. My boy just won't nap. Newborns are supposed to get 15 hours of sleep. Jacob gets maybe 11 in a day. Not that he doesn't need more (read: crabby) and not that he doesn't doze off nursing all the time which makes it take forever. Plus, he really could be happy nursing for an hour at a time every other hour. I usually get 20 minutes happy Jacob, followed by an hour of crabby, and then it's time to nurse again. During his one nap, I can decide to nap myself, catch up on housework, make dinner, or catch up on thank you notes...

This last week we did do some fun stuff - go to the mall and make a road trip to Buy Buy Baby. Jacob does sleep in the car and also when being pushed around in the cart. The whole time I am thinking though - don't sleep now - I need to nap too!! I also took some great walks in the neighborhood with the strolller. I'm not so gimpy now, and can almost walk as fast as I was when I was 9 months pregnant. However, I started bleeding again, so now I have to rest. I am going crazy not being able to exercise regularly, but finding the time and getting to the point where it's safe is hampering me. I'm 6 weeks post partum next Saturday. Hopefully, things continue to get better. In the meantime, I am wearing my maternity pants and trying not to feel too bad about it!

Parenting advice is welcome... and I will try to keep getting through my backlog of emails...please don't stop writing - I love the company!

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Geez, you are so hard on yourself! I wasn't up to much of anything until at least 8 weeks. The first couple of months are hard because the baby isn't smiling and showing too much personality. It gets more fun after about 3 months when you can get him to giggle. That makes all the sleepless nights worthwhile!
Kelly

Sasha & Mark said...

I think everything you wrote is totally normal. There isn't much we can do to establish schedules just yet-- they'll get there eventually. A few more weeks and Jacob will be smiling, which will totally melt your heart!

My DD sleeps during the day if I have her in a Moby wrap (like now), otherwise, she'll wake every 10 min! But I'm jealous that you can go places-- she will NOT sleep in her carseat or when being strolled. She's usually happy for 15 min and then starts crying for the boob, which makes going for a walk almost impossible!

Idea for you-- since he likes the carseat, put him in just after nursing (when he's sleepy) and put it on the dryer w/ air/fluff (no heat). This works GREAT for my friend's baby! Good luck!

Bella said...

Hang in there, sweetie! You are doing a great job and that weight wil come off, give it a little time. Thinking of you! ((HUGS))

stacey said...

So happy things are going as well as they can at this point!!!! Now...I'm off to find more pics of little Jacob:-)