Wednesday, May 21, 2008

First IVF check up

I had my first check up today for my cycle. It was not all that good. I had 4 follies between 8-10 and then 3 too small to measure. To go forward with IVF given the cost and the risk of the eggs not making it to transfer is a really tough decision. We really need 6-8 eggs in play. We'll make a decision on Saturday after my scan and bloodwork.

** you can quit reading here if you don't want to hear whining **

It seems like I can't get a break. I finally get my stomach feeling ok and this bomb drops today. This has been the hardest day in a long time. I just wanted to go home and cry all day. Now my stomach is starting to hurt. Plus, I just read that baby aspirin helps poor responders. I haven't been taking it because my stomach hurts. I guess I should really just take a few months off. But here's the thing... we've been trying for almost 2 years now. We're not young (and my response proves it) and I just want to get out from under this dark ominous cloud of IF and get on with my life one way or another. I've tried everything I could to be a good responder - acupuncture, yoga, modified exercise, modified diet, supplements. I just don't get it.

3 comments:

shawna said...

It's too soon to give up hope! You aren't out of it yet, and I hope that this works for you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrea,

I checked out your blog from The Nest site. I'm so sorry you are not responding as well as you'd like but like the previous responder said - it's not over yet. I'm on a high fsh board (notoriously poor responders) and I've heard that sometimes follicles pop up later in the game. Also, there are REs that will go with less than 6 follicles - which won't help for this cycle but is something to keep in mind. All you need is one good egg (and keep in mind that a lot of great responders don't always end up with a lot of fertilized eggs). I wish you the best!!!!!

Laura said...

Oh Andrea, I'm sorry that you had such a rotten day! Like the others said, don't give up hope yet. I'm praying things will turn around and those smaller ones will grow. I'll be thinking about you!